Perspiration Pals 17 July 2024

Hello there, Pals! How are you today? I dread having to step outside. It’s like getting into an oven. Plus something seems to be up with my AC and I’m worried… but I don’t even want to think about it, I’ll worry when I have a real reason to. I’m not particularly looking forward to my staycation because I don’t want to be cooped up in my small apartment the whole time. I do hope that it’ll cool down a little.

I started doing Feel Stronger with Erica which means that I’ve started using my dumbbells… I’m not saying I don’t have to modify certain moves or exercises because unfortunately, my arm hasn’t healed properly but at least I only have to wait less than a week for my appointment with a rheumatologist. Anyway, it’s not worse than it was, which is not bad news, I suppose.

Today, instead of the usual fact-finder fragment, I’ll post something different, because as I was browsing through my files I found something I thought was worth saving and it’s a message by Daniel. As far as I can remember it was a reply to someone posting about how difficult that person found doing HIIT and was quite dejected and that’s what Daniel wrote:

“Step back for a moment and realize that HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) is just that Intense. The feeling you are beating yourself up over is the intended outcome of this type of exercise. Everyone is going to respond to these exercises differently. They are not easy for me either and I have done everything from semi-competitive, swimming, running, cycling, triathlons, high altitude hiking, etc, and have never taken more than a two-month break from sports or exercise since I was in 8th grade. So keep in mind that if you are getting out of breath you are doing it right even if you are out of breath 5 seconds in.

This type of exercise counts on multiple systems working at peak efficiency to make it though and even then you will still be out of breath. To get enough oxygen in you have to have a strong diaphragm and intercostal muscles to pull enough air into your lungs, healthy lungs to efficiently exchange the oxygen into your blood, enough red blood cells and hemoglobin to properly bind to the oxygen, a strong enough heart to pump it around the miles of blood vessels in your entire body and then you have to have enough mitochondria in your muscle cells to properly use the oxygen your cells receive. If any one of those links in the chain is weak then the whole system is going to be weak. So, don't be upset with yourself for not being better or getting better more quickly as there are a lot of things that must improve to see even the slightest difference.

In short, keep at it, keep pushing and you will see your endurance improve over time. Your body is an amazing machine that can adapt to the stress you put it under, and it will pretty much always take more time than you want it to, but it is always worth it.

We wish you the best on your fitness journey.”

It’s easy to forget how complex and complicated our bodies are, isn’t it? Actually, this WAS a fact-finder fragment part because Daniel listed a handful of facts about the body.

All right, Pals, I need to go now, have a relatively easy day, and don’t forget to keep cool or warm, depending on which hemisphere you live in.