Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New Workout! Yoga for Improved Posture and Tension Relief

Have questions about your alignment in Yoga? Curious to explore and expand the foundation of your practice? Or maybe you’re just looking for some gentle Yoga to release tension in the back? No matter the reason for coming to your mat, this all-levels flow will provide you the tools to release total body tension, improve your posture, and expand your body-breath connection. 

Yoga for Improved Posture and Tension Relief

Maybe it’s just me, but I think the spine is SUPER cool! The spine is the foundation for our entire anatomical structure, and it allows us to move in so many different ways — if we take care of it. ;-)

The health of our spine can reveal a lot about our physical wellbeing as well as our mental/emotional wellbeing. While I won’t get into the nitty gritty of how it’s all connected (because that would take forever, but if you’re curious I will link some resources below for you to do your own research), I will touch on how the 7 movements of the spine can strengthen your posture and relieve tension held throughout the body. 

If the spine is the foundation of our anatomical structure, then the 7 movements of the spine are the foundations of our asana (yogic postures) practice; every posture and transition we take involves the spine. The 7 movements of our spine include: 

• Axial Extension: Lengthening (Example: Extended Mountain Pose)
  • Flexion: Forward Fold (Example: Rag Doll Pose)
  • Extension: Back Bend (Example: Bridge Pose)
  • Lateral (Left & Right): Side Bend (Example: Peaceful Warrior)
  • Rotational (Left & Right): Spinal Twist (Example: Horizon Lunge) 

These 7 movements are powerful: they can help us to build muscular strength to support the different sections of our spine; they can increase mobility, allowing us to move more freely; they can increase back flexibility, allowing us to carry less tension in the spine, and possibly experience more pain-free moments while sitting or standing. Of course, all of these elements contribute to strengthening and improving our posture, and our overall wellbeing. 

So where do we begin? On the mat! Throughout this class we will explore a variety of foundational postures that embody these 7 movements, and we will take them in combination with the breath. This will allow us to first recognize our physical defaults —hunched shoulders, tucking the low back, etc. — and then actively work to engage or release the areas of the body that will serve to create better posture habits. 

In this flow, I challenge and invite you to be an acute observer of your breath in movement: where do you notice the breath flowing freely? Where do you notice that the breath shallows or gets a little stuck? No need for stories (justifications) or judgements; just make a mental note of your observations. If you feel called to, I invite you to share your experiences in the comments below. 

Thank you for joining me on the mat; I hope this class leaves you feeling curious and inspired! 

With love & light, 

Marina 

Resources: